Tamil Nadu Education Structure
The Education structure in the state is based on national level pattern with 12 years of schooling (10+2+3), consisting eight year of elementary education, five years of primary and three years middle school education.Education will develop skills of problems solving and social interaction, education teaches and remind desirable values like kindness, charity, devotion to duty, truthfulness, tolerance, self-confidence, Honesty and Non-Violence.
School Education Department TN Implement the polices in the directories of Directorate of School Education, Elementary Education, Matriculation Schools, Government Examination, Teacher Education, Research and Training, Non-formal and Adult Education, State Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, State project RMSA, Text-book Corporation, teachers recruitment board etc.TN school education dept first post published at inour website
As per 2010 reports total 12855485 children’s enrolled across the state from these 9797264 students in primary 1873989 students in secondary and 1184232 students in higher secondary classrooms.
TN literacy rate is 80.33% as per census 2011 it is above nation average. School Education Department overall control of primary, upper primary and secondary schools, administrative sanctions for schemes and programmes, final decision to take annual budge relate to school education. As per survey held by Industry body Assocham Tamil Nadu is the top among state with 100% GER in primary and upper primary education.
Medium of Instruction
Common - Tamil & English are common medium languages, most of the private schools imparting to pupils is English while Govt schools run Tamil medium is primary.
Peculiar Cases - Kendriya Vidyalaya's which is run by central government have dual medium instruction English and Hindi.
Tamil Nadu Government School Education Schemes
- Mid-day Meal Scheme
- Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE)
- Girls education
- Educational satellite (EDUSAT)
- Distribution of free uniforms
- Computer education
- Distribution of free textbooks
- Kasturba Gandhi Ballka Vidyalaya (KGBV)
- Integrated Education for the Disabled (IED)
- National Programme of Education for Girls at Elementary Level (NPEGEL)
- Distribution of free bus pass
School Education Department TN Objectives
- Provide equity, quality education at primary, upper primary, secondary and higher secondary level.
- Progress & development curriculum and evaluation procedures in conformity with the values enshrine in the Constitution.
- Built and develop the physical and mental abilities, child's knowledge potential talent to fullest extent
- Provide quality education to child's own mother tongue.
- Teaching technology simple to the children by provide conducive learning environment through learning activities, exploration and discovery in a child friendly and child centered manner.
Secretary to Government
School Education Department,
6th Floor,Namakkal Kavingar Malagai,
Phone Office: 044-25672790